Gallbladders are Evil

Word to the wise – if you have “gas pains” that are behind your belly button and in your right shoulder, don’t take a gas-x and go back to sleep. It’s probably your gallbladder being a huge jackass.

I haven’t been 100% for a while, and I really didn’t know why. Well, the day after Christmas, I woke up in an immense amount of pain. I thought it was bad gas cause, well, I didn’t know what else it could. It was awful, and I had to wake Josh to help rub my back and try and calm everything down. I thought maybe it was the stomach bug that Ellabelle had had on Christmas. I managed to fall back asleep after two hours, and that was the end of it.

Until very early Saturday morning.

I woke up because Ellabelle was crying and I stumbled across the house to her room. I soothed her and went back to my own room. I started to lay back down and the pain hit. It was the same pain as on Tuesday, but this time it was worse. I couldn’t lay down. So I sat. Eventually I couldn’t sit so I stood. Then I couldn’t stand without the pain so after waking poor Josh up multiple times, we decided I needed to go to the ER. Because of the girls, I drove myself. I’m not sure how I made it there, but I did. I sat in the waiting room for what felt like an eternity because I felt like I was ripping apart from the inside before they finally took me back. Everyone I talked to seemed to agree right away that the stomach and shoulder pain meant it was my gallbladder.

FaceTiming with my big girl while in the ER

After a very painful IV start up, and thankfully a dose of morphine, I got to take a ride through a CT scanner. And the scanners don’t look like they do on tv. They look like giant donuts and you lay on a table that rotates through the hole. They also have to send a dye through your veins, and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy and like you’re peeing your pants which I kept reminding myself not to do. Turns out, everyone was right. It was my gallbladder! It had multiple stones, was enlarged, and it was thick so it was infected. Stupid little bastard. So out it had to come.

My parents showed up and, after dropping the girls off at his dad’s, so did Josh. I was worried that he wouldn’t make it before I went back since my surgery was scheduled for 11am. They wheeled me into the pre-op area from the ER, and I got the run down of what was going to happen. I said bye to my parents and Josh, and they started wheeling me back to OR. I remember feeling really weird all of a sudden and asked if I had been given my sleeping meds. The guy wheeling back said they had. I don’t remember anything else after that except I kinda remember someone telling me to let them put my oxygen mask on. I think I was fighting against whoever was trying to cover my mouth and nose.
Next thing I know I’m back where I started in pre-op. I’m pretty sure I annoyed the male nurse because I just kept asking, “Where’s Josh?” He told me we’d wait til I woke up a bit more and I dozed in and out for about 20 mins. Well, there was a clock on the wall and my brain seems to remember it only being 20 mins but who knows if my drugged up brain is right. I asked for Josh again (I have no idea how many times I actually asked him. I only remember 3) and I know I irritated him because the female nurse suddenly started taking care of me instead.

Now let me clarify something, this whole thing was a long process. It seems short here in writing, but there was a lot of waiting. I was in the ER from 5:30am-10:30am and then we waited 30 mins for the OR and then the surgery took like 3.5hrs and then I had to wake up. Luckily for me, I was drugged for part of this.

Finally, they let my people come back to see me. The male nurse came out into the lobby and asked who Josh was. I’m telling you, I seriously irritated him with my incessant asking.

They feed me ice chips and then Josh had to feed me water and graham crackers. They explained after care and that was it. Josh dressed me (since I was “surgically naked” which I was very worried about for some reason) and I got wheeled to my mom’s car and she took me home. My dad drove one of our cars and Josh drove the other. My mom was nice enough to stop and get me a milk shake since, luckily, you starting eating normally right away.

I slept for like the next week. I missed the new year arriving. I hardly saw the girls because they like to jump and hug and snuggle which is very problematic when you have four incisions on your belly. The stupid cats kept trying to sleep on me. That wasn’t very fun. My 2017 didn’t start until like January 6th. I missed the first 6 days of the year. I missed the first snow of the year. I missed my life. My gallbladder robbed me of time! They are evil.

I went back to work after a week which was hard, but I’m on week 2 and going strong. I feel almost back to normal. In fact, I actually feel better now then I did before. Pesky gallbladder was messing everything up apparently. I’m just glad it’s over and out and I can move on.

Bye Felicia.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s